Because of coronavirus concerns, Tax Aid will use a new minimal-contact method of tax preparation.
Taxpayers will call a Google Voice phone number (443-499-3622 starting on January 11, 2021), to make an appointment at the Walla Walla Senior Center. At the Senior Center, clients will fill out an intake form in their car and participate in a brief social-distanced interview outside the building. Next a volunteer will scan the client’s tax documents inside the building. After scanning, clients will get their documents back and leave the Senior Center.
After scanning of documents, the tax preparation process has three steps.
- A Tax-Aide volunteer will access the client’s scanned documents in the cloud and prepare the tax return, consulting with the client over the phone.
- Another Tax-Aide volunteer will do a check and quality review of the tax return, using the same scanned documents and consulting with the client over the phone.
- The client will return to the Senior Center to pick up a printed copy of their tax return and to sign a form accepting responsibility for the return and giving us permission to e-file their return.
People using the service should bring with them all documents relating to income and possible deductions:
- Photo identification for the taxpayer and spouse
- Social Security cards or ITIN papers for the taxpayer, spouse, and all dependents
- If possible, a copy of last year's tax return.
- Bring a pen or pencil to fill out the intake form in their car
- A mask to put on, if close contact with volunteers becomes necessary.
Clients who do not speak English should be accompanied by a friend or relative who is bilingual and can assist with the interview.